Saturday 19 January 2013

Eye of newt and toe of frog...

Apply tree resin, roots of white lilies and dried human waste to the buboes, then cut open the veins leading to the heart before applying clay and crushed violets. This, esteemed clinicians believed, was an effective method of treating the Black Death in the Middle Ages.


Thankfully, in the 21st century, we realise that antibiotics achieve better results.

Why? Because, for goodness sake, there is a shedload of evidence to prove it.

Yet far too many 21st century clinicians are treating our children with eating disorder treatments that are shown to be ineffective, to prolong the duration of the eating disorder and - in some cases - to lead to death.

The evidence for efficacious eating disorder treatment is out there. It's been out there for quite some time now. It's been tested, documented and proven to be effective. Just as antibiotics have long been proven to be effective against killer bacterial diseases that used to be treated by quack methods.

Getting my drift yet?



2 comments:

  1. I do get your drift. But in my humble opinion, EDs are different to the Black Death etc. They are built out of complexity and as such different approaches work for different people. I know people who have lived with anorexia, for example, for whom a different approach has been helpful for each of them - and all different approaches. Whilst I know the 'evidence-base' is there for a (good) reason, it still has significant numbers who don't respond well. And in my mind, that means that there is no one size fits all. That for some people, treatments that are shown to be 'ineffective, prolong the duration, lead to death' for some, may actually help others. And what worries me more is narrowing down to a panacea type ideal as EDs aren't like a uniform 'disease'. I don't know if this makes sense. I fully appreciate you haven't had what you have felt is right for your son, and nothing can make that ok (apart from getting what you feel is right now), but FBT, CBT, DBT, etc etc...some work for some...not all work for all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply, Anon. Yes, I do see what you are saying and I do agree, despite my rantings yesterday when I was angry. I really appreciate your comment! xx

      Delete