Wednesday, 26 August 2015

New blog - moving away from the eating disorder

Writing this blog has been a bit tricky for the past few months. My son, Ben, is doing really well and is about to embark on his final year at university and building up a circle of friends, old and new. I've been struggling a bit with PTSD, anxiety and depression as a result of trying to re-invent the person I was before Ben fell sick with anorexia. I've found it difficult to focus on things like reading and writing - hence why I haven't written much over the past months. Also, I've sidestepped away from the world of eating disorders a little, kind of standing on the sidelines rather than in the thick of it, basically because it wasn't helping to fix my PTSD (for which I am undergoing my third course of NHS therapy).


During Ben's anorexia, I put my life on hold and, in many ways, I'm not the same person I was before, back in early 2009.

Six years on I am older, fatter and certainly wiser, but I am also haunted by distressing memories as well as feeling a little isolated from 'normal society' except, of course, for the amazing new circle of friends and contacts I have met in the world of eating disorders.

But the reason for the new blog is that, over the past year or so, I've taken up cycling as a means of getting fit, flooding my head with mood-enhancing endorphins and getting out there, into the British countryside, while attempting to get my head together.

As you know from this blog, walking (and / or hiking, whichever you prefer to call it) have been my thing for many years and especially through Ben's eating disorder as we 'walked and talked' for miles.

So, recently, a friend suggested I start a blog about my biking and hiking activities - and so today I have, with a sprinkling of how these activities have helped me recover from the PTSD fallout from the years of battling with Ben's eating disorder.

Thus far, the new blog is very much in its infancy i.e. I haven't written a post yet. But I will.

So please follow it and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment