Sunday 11 August 2013

11th hour trip to London to meet Becky Henry

Our fantastic network of parents of young people with and recovered from eating disorders spans the globe. Although I feel I know so very many of them as well as any of my local friends, I have only met up with a handful of them 'in the flesh'. Tomorrow I'm meeting up with Becky Henry who wrote the preface for my new book When Anorexia Came To Visit along with one of the mums who contributed her story to the book. The three of us have never met in person, yet we've 'talked' via the Net on many, many occasions. So I'm thrilled to have got hold of an 11th hour cheap-ish train ticket to London and back.


US-based Becky Henry is the founder and president of the Hope Network which offers support to caregivers of someone with an eating disorder. She is also the author of the book Just Tell Her To Stop, "an amazing collection of stories from families who shared what it is like to live with and support a person with an eating disorder".

It was this book that inspired my book, When Anorexia Came To Visit, and - before I wrote it - I asked Becky for her advice. She was also kind enough to write the Preface which talks about why these three books describing families' experiences (the other being Australian June Alexander's My Kid Is Back – Empowering Parents to Beat Anorexia Nervosa) are so important. All three highlight what life is like for a parent of a young person suffering from an eating disorder - all the issues we have to face beyond the confines of the consulting room in our struggles to get our children well. By showing other families what worked for us, and also highlighting the warning signs of an eating disorder, we can hopefully help others to successfully get through this devastating illness.

Meanwhile I'm really excited at finally meeting Becky Henry in the flesh - and the other mum, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment