Tuesday 21 December 2021

First media interview I've done since the C-PTSD kicked in (and now, thankfully, out)

 I struggled for a long time with Chronic or Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) as a result of the horror, trauma and stress of battling to get my son through his eating disorder (anorexia). For what seems like years I was unable to face anything to do with eating disorders and that included writing this blog and talking to the media about the issue of eating disorders in boys / males. It was just too triggering.

Thanks to some wonderful therapy, I am now at the stage where I feel I can face the world of eating disorders again without it triggering me too much. I'm taking it easy... step by tiny step... But last week I agreed to do a radio interview about the problem of many GPs not always recognising eating disorders, especially in boys.

I can't believe that, 12 years on from my own battles to get my son diagnosed with anorexia and referred by the GP for CAMHS eating disorder treatment, the problem is still very much there. GPs simply aren't recognising the classic signs of an eating disorder simply because they haven't had sufficient training in the illness.

It will be interesting to hear the radio report when the journalist pieces together the various interviews she's carrying out.

Watch this space for a link.

No comments:

Post a Comment