Many people don't expect their sons to develop an eating disorder. Many people still think that eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia are a 'girl thing'. But the fact is that more and more males are being diagnosed and treated for eating disorders. Yes boys do get eating disorders - and my son was one of them (now thankfully recovered).
A few months ago I did a talk about eating disorders in boys in Edinburgh and the following bullet points are from my presentation - typical signs that a boy may be developing an eating disorder:
- Intense exercise without pleasure
- Dieting / avoiding widening range of foods
- New interest in 'healthy eating'
- Obsession with nutritional labels
- Eliminating fats / carbs from diet
- Increased interest in cooking
- Ritualistic eating
- Belief that 'getting fat'
- Social withdrawal
- Losing weight
You can download a PDF of the slides from my Edinburgh here...
You can read a transcription of my presentation here...
And here's a post on the subject Could my son have an eating disorder / what should I do if I think my son has an eating disorder which I wrote back in 2011.