Thursday 29 November 2012

Is this the most irresponsible book title in ages?

Sorry, but I'm not going to name it because I don't want to give the author any more publicity than he's already had - or to makes the title searchable by search engines and therefore possibly acting as a trigger for people disposed towards an eating disorder (which is why I haven't typed in complete words below)... but... I believe this is the most irresponsible book title I have seen in a long while. And the concept of the d*et plan inside isn't brilliant, either.


No I haven't read it, but I've read lengthy reviews and I've heard the author plug it on TV. I've also seen him reduce one of the nicest BEAT young ambassadors to tears as she tried her best to put the case for eating disorder victims forward, and why she also believes that the title of this book - which has so far sold more than 100,000 copies - is irresponsible and could indeed act as a trigger for people disposed towards an eating disorder.

Any book title that encourages young people to race to be the first among their peers to look "sk*nny" and lose we*ght at a dramatic speed is irresponsible.

Okay I admit that it's just one of thousands of extreme d*et books out there which no doubt sell like hot cakes. I also admit that the majority of people that buy this book won't necessarily descend into an eating disorder. Most, doubtless, will lose we*ght only to put it all back on again. Indeed, by some estimates, more than 80 per cent of people who have lost we*ght will regain all of it, or more, after two years.

But there may be some who are biologically predisposed to developing an eating disorder who may pick up this book, lured in by its Siren-like title which, I believe, goes beyond the realms of what is ethically responsible. Likewise those who are already far gone on the hellish descent into an eating disorder.

Just before the author reduced the courageous BEAT young ambassador to tears on TV, he claimed to personally know several people with eating disorders.

Hmn... if I knew several people whose lives had been virtually destroyed by anorexia, bulimia or another eating disorder...  and / or if I was aware that eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness... would I write and publish a book with a title like that?

More significantly, would I feel comfortable about getting wealthy on the royalties from selling hundreds of thousands of copies of a book with a title like that?




No comments:

Post a Comment