Friday 15 July 2011

Ben, me, the Contract, kitchen scales and plenty of food, but not ED...

Okay, so we haven't made it to France this year and, anyway, last year I vowed I'd NEVER go on holiday / vacation again until the eating disorder was well and truly GONE. But, having said this, Ben and I are about to embark on a few days away in a country cottage in the Peak District. Unfortunately husband can't come due to work pressures, so he's staying at home.


Of course my main concern is that we will have sufficient food around for Ben to keep to his daily calorie total. We've already done a 'dummy run' of what a typical day might look like, food-wise, because I said "I'll just pick up something or other somewhere or other" wasn't good enough as regards the difference between breakfast, lunch and tea calories and the total number required.

He refuses to entertain the idea of little 'emergency snacks' like mini bags of fruit or nuts, etc so I'm off to the supermarket later, without Ben, to stock up on a few emergency bits and pieces just in case... After all, it's not like home where there's always something in the cupboard, fridge or freezer...

My other worry is what ED describes as "sitting around all day doing nothing" e.g. when we drive there and back, and if the weather proves to be too rainy for us to go walking in the countryside.

So the Contract will accompany us and points will be awarded for keeping to the agreed plan.

The kitchen scales are coming, too, to ensure that Ben doesn't 'under-estimate' portion sizes.

And before we go, I will weigh Ben to compare with last Friday - and again when we return. We don't see CAMHS for another two weeks, so it's important for me to keep an eye on whether things are going up or down, and adjust the Contract accordingly.

Am I confident things will go relatively smoothly?

I think I am.

And although ED will no doubt try its best to stow away in the luggage, I hope my preparations will prevent him from spending too much - or indeed any - time with us.

Now all we have to worry about is the weather, and unfortunately heavy rain is forecast...

I will keep you posted as I'm taking my laptop with me, too.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are more than well prepared, good luck! I hope you have a lovely time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading this blog from the link from MGEDT, and I must tell you how inspirational you are to me :) i have struggled myself with an ED, and seing what a parent go through, although hard, really does help me realize how hard it is for you.

    You are doing an impecible job, and I wish you and ben all the best <3

    have a wonderful holiday!!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete