Friday 3 June 2011

Impressed with Ben's perseverance

Despite feeling grotty and losing his appetite, I have been incredibly impressed by the way Ben is ploughing on with the usual eating regime. So much so that I gave him extra 'points' on our Contract yesterday. So far he hasn't been sick, etc so what's going in is staying there. Fingers crossed things won't get worse...


I don't know about you but, in the 'good old days' before anorexia reared its ugly head, the first thing that came into my mind when Ben fell sick was: "Oh poor thing; what can I do to make it better?" etc etc.

With an eating disorder, the first thing that comes into your mind is: "How am I going to keep my child eating through the duration? What will we do if they lose weight and catapult back into the Land of Ed?"

Feeling sorry for them comes second...!

In an hour we'll be with the psych. I did suggest to Ben that because he doesn't feel too well, he stays at home, but he's keen to go.

In the 'bad old days' of High Anorexia, I'd have got him to CAMHS come hell or high water, but these days it's not so important.

Hopefully the psych read the letter I left at the unit and I wonder what her reaction will be. I am crossing my fingers and toes that she will back me on the evidence-based treatment information I am relaying to Ben and not take the same stance as the Assistant did last week.

Whichever way, she does tend to be very skilled at keeping a good balance between what messages are being said so any 'triangulation' is eliminated or kept to a minimum.

And we all know how much ED loves 'triangulation' between treatment team and carers...

Watch this space...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck at CAMHS! And go Ben for continuing to eat despite his virus :) I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete